Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Networking Information

My router at work is set up as a wireless access point, with no physical connection to a PC. It is just hooked to the ethernet cable. It is configured with an encryptation key for security, and it connects to my work domain which I thought was inaccessible to XP home or Vista, until today.

I connected to the domain (yes, domain, not workgroup!) with XP home and with Vista (yes, not XP Pro) wirelessly with the following three simple steps:

1. Connect to the router using the encryptation key and verify internet connectivity.

2. While holding the "Windows Key" on the keyboard down, type the letter "R". This is the "shortcut to 'RUN' ".

3. Enter \\kap-02.companyname.phy (That's just the path to one of the domain computers).

This brings up the domain login which for me is companyname\myfirstinitialmylastname plus domain password. That's it. Then you can surf to the shared folder you need and view files. You can do this with multiple computers on the domain. I did it with a second computer with a shared laser printer. Surfed to the printer, opened it, connected, and selected it a my default printer just as if it was connected to my laptop.

If I find out the router settings I will post that. I did see that one can right click on my computer to bring up "map network drive" to assign say drive Z: to \\mydomaincomputerpath.

No comments:

Post a Comment