Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Starting from Scratch

Just got an MSI U100 Wind Netbook. Very, very cheap ($300) and very portable. I am a Vista refugee so finding XP again is a huge relief. [Vista has serious problems with palm software including desktop, hotsync, epocrates, PODS] So I thought I would tlog my progress because I am tired of reinventing the same wheel over and over.

1. Initial boot caused MSI to do an apparent 'system recovery' to factory state. Resulted in an OS_Install C: drive (30GB of 39GB free) and a Local Disk D: drive (105GB, empty). There is also a shortcut called MSI BurnRecovery which I will need to come back to.
2. Installed Palm TX which created Palm folder and hotsynced to the TX with username EHR2. [Since there is no CD drive, used a 4GB thumb drive, with files copied including hidden files.]
3. Linked to the wireless network after discovering that Fn-F11 toggles on the wireless card. At least that's what I think happened.
4. Did a few Restore Points along the way just for good luck.
5. Went into start->run->msconfig->startup and disabled all except hotsyncshortcutname and bluetooth manager.
6. Right clicked hotsync in tray->custom-> disabled versamail, addit, docstogo, etc. Had to to into docstogo to disable it from hotsync.
7. Installed epocrates from web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment